YAKITORI-STYLE CHICKEN KEBAB APPETIZERS
In collaboration with
Héloïse Leclerc, Foodista en mission
25 min Prepping
10 min Cooking
KEBABSA package of 8 Exceldor chicken thighs
- 12-15 bamboo or metal skewers
- 1 zucchini, cut in dice of around 2 cm
- The white and pale green parts of 5 green onions, cut in 2 cm pieces
- Variations: sliced Paris mushrooms, green pepper, Spanish onion, etc.
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) dark soy sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- ½ cup (125 ml) sake
- ½ cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mirin (replace with an equivalent amount of maple syrup as needed)
- Bicolour sesame seeds
- Sesame oil to taste
- Nuoc Cham dipping sauce
Click the steps to erase them.
- Combine all of the liquid marinade ingredients in a dish suited for refrigeration. Chill a few spoonfuls of marinade in the refrigerator and use it to baste the brochettes during cooking.
- Slice the thighs into strips about 1 cm wide and place them in the marinade. Marinate at least 2 hours, or overnight for a more pronounced flavour.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water at least 2 hours before starting to assemble the kebabs.
- Make the kebabs by alternating between pieces of chicken and vegetables.
- Place the rack at the top of the oven and preheat to broil. Arrange the kebabs on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 4 minutes, baste with marinade (reserved in step 1) and bake 4 more minutes. Depending on the size of your chicken strips, some extra time might be needed, so check doneness before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle the kebabs with the bicolour sesame seeds and accompany them with Nuoc Cham dipping sauce lightly seasoned with sesame oil.