YAKITORI CHICKEN SKEWERS
6 and more Portions
25 min Prepping
15 min Cooking
- 6 Exceldor chicken breasts, cut into 2–3 in. (6 cm) cubes
- 6 green onions, cut into 5 cm (2 in.) sections
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) vegetable oil
SOY SAUCE GLAZE
- ½ cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) mirin (found in the Asian product section of the grocery store)
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) sugar
- Sesame seeds
- Cayenne pepper
- Lemon wedges
Click the steps to erase them.
- Place soy sauce glaze ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix chicken, ginger and garlic in a large bowl and season generously. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Thread chicken cubes onto skewers, alternating with sections of green onion.
- Heat oil over high heat in a non-stick skillet and brown skewered chicken on all sides. Add 2 tbsp. (30 ml) water to the skillet, cover, and cook chicken for approximately 2 minutes. Remove lid. Use a silicone basting brush to brush skewers with soy sauce glaze. Reduce heat and finish cooking skewers on all sides, brushing with glaze until skewers are a nice amber color.
- Top with sesame seeds and a little cayenne pepper and serve hot with lemon wedges.