SMOKED-SALTED ROCK CORNISH HENS
You can also bake the Hens in an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C). Place Hens in a roasting pan over a bed of root vegetables, add 2 cups of chicken broth, and bake for about 45 minutes or until skin is crisp and brown, regularly basting with drippings. Internal temperature should be 180°F (82°C).
A recipe that keeps on giving! Leftovers are just as delicious and make a great addition to salads, sandwiches, pasta, etc.
- 2 Exceldor Rock Cornish Hens, about 1.63 lb. (0.74 kg) each, cut in half (for grilling)
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- Root vegetables, to taste (parsnips, carrots, turnips, white turnips, etc.)
Click the steps to erase them.
- Prepare the smoked salt. In a bowl, mix salt and smoked paprika. Rub Hens with olive oil, then the salt and smoked paprika mixture.
- Let the Hens absorb the spice flavors. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Grill Rock Cornish Hens on both sides until brown. Continue grilling using the indirect cooking method.
- Serve the Hens with root vegetables.