GROUND CHICKEN MEATBALLS IN A BBQ CRUST
In collaboration with
Véronique Ouellet, Miss Papila
6 and more Portions
30 min Prepping
20 min Cooking
- 1 tray of Exceldor ground chicken
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) white onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (125 ml) plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) thyme
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) parsley
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) oregano
- 24 small cubes (½ cm) Swiss cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) ketchup
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ½ tsp. (2 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) white vinegar
- A few drops liquid smoke
- 1 cup BBQ-flavoured chips
Click the steps to erase them.
- In a non-stick frying pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and brown until translucent, then set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, thyme, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the preparation.
- Make a large ball, put it in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make chicken meatballs about 3 cm in diameter.
- Stuff each one with a cheese cube.
- Place the meatballs on the parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the centre is no longer pink.
- Remove from the oven.
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and gently bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate.
- Place the chips in a bowl and crush them into crumbs using a glass.
- Reheat the sauce or use it cold, at taste.
- Stick a small cocktail fork in a meatball, and dip the meatball into the sauce and then into the chip crumbs.
- You can serve the fully prepared meatballs or place the three components on the table and let your guests dip the meatballs themselves.