COQ AU VIN
30 min Prepping
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 115 g (4 oz) lardons or bacon, diced
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) all purpose flour
- Salt and ground pepper
- 225 g (8 oz) white mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups (500 ml) onions (about 2 onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) Cognac or brandy
- 2 cups (500 ml) red wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) flour
Click the steps to erase them.
- In a large pot, sauté lardons over medium heat in 1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil. Set lardons aside on a large plate.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and roll in flour.
- In the same pot, brown half the chicken pieces over medium heat, 4 to 5 minutes a side. Repeat with the rest of the chicken pieces. Set aside with lardons.
- In the same pot, sauté the mushrooms and onions over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze with Cognac. Add red wine and broth. Bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces and lardons, thym, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes over medium heat until chicken meat detaches easily from the bone. Add mushroom garnish 15 minutes before chicken has finished cooking.
- In a small bowl, mix butter and flour until mixture is smooth.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces, lardons, and garnish from the sauce. Set aside in a bowl. Bring sauce to a boil over medium heat. Add beurre manié with a whisk until sauce thickens. Return chicken and garnish to pot. Let simmer 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.