WORLD'S BEST CHICKEN POT PIE
30 min Prepping
CHICKEN FILLING3 Exceldor boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced On sale
- ¼ cup (60 ml) softened butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter
- 1½ cups (375 ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (125 ml) 15% table cream
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
SHORT CRUST PASTRY
- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) cold butter, diced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) white vinegar
- Milk to brush on pastry
Click the steps to erase them.
- In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup (60 ml) softened butter with flour. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook carrots, potato, leek, and celery in 2 tbs. (30 ml) butter until softened. Add salt and pepper. Add stock. Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add butter/flour mixture and bring to boil, stirring gently with a wooden spoon. Add cream and bring to boil once more. If necessary, adjust seasoning.
- Incorporate chicken, herbs, and peas.
- Place plastic wrap directly on the filling to prevent it from drying. Let cool while you prepare the crust.
- In a food processor, mix flour and salt. Add butter and pulse mixture until the butter is broken up to pea-sized pieces.
- Add water and vinegar and mix again just until the pastry starts to take shape. Add water if necessary.
- Remove pastry from food processor and shape it into two discs with your hands. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place the oven rack in the bottom position. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a floured worktop, roll out the two pastry discs and press one into the bottom of a 9 in. (23 cm) pie dish. Cut slits in the second layer of pastry.
- Spread the chicken filling over the pastry. Brush edges of the pastry with milk and cover with the second layer of pastry. Scallop the edges and brush with milk.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until pastry is golden. Let rest 15 minutes and serve.