PRESERVED-LEMON CHICKEN TAGINE
30 min Prepping
- 1 whole Excceldor chicken (4 lb/1.8 kg) in pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 6 French shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) curry
- 1 tsp, (5 ml) crushed coriander seeds
- 1 cup of water
- 4 sea salt preserved lemons
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pitted black olives
Click the steps to erase them.
- Cut chicken into pieces (breast, legs, wings). Add salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large casserole dish and brown chicken pieces on all sides.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add shallots to chicken along with saffron, ginger, curry, and coriander.
- Add a cup of water to casserole dish and place in oven. Simmer for 40 minutes, checking chicken as it cooks.
- Quarter preserved lemons after rinsing with cold water.
- If olives are too salty, blanch for 5 minutes in boiling water and drain.
- Add lemons and olives to chicken. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Preserved lemons are available at the grocery store, but why not make your own?
Place lemons in jars with water, salt, and your choice of spices, such as peppercorns, coriander, cumin, or bay or kaffir lime leaves, and refrigerate for one week.
Finely sliced or julienned peel can be used on grilled chicken paillard in braised dishes, on chicken drumstick osso buco, in guacamole, in rice or couscous, and in warm preserved-lemon and maple dressing with roasted shallots, served over blanched asparagus.
You can also use- Chicken drumsticks
- Boneless chicken thighs