HOMEMADE RAMEN WITH ROASTED CHICKEN AND SWEET POTATO
In collaboration with
Emilie Gaillet, Emilie Murmure
20 min Prepping
35 min Cooking
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) miso
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) star anise
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried shiitake mushrooms (or 1 cup fresh)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut in small cubes
- 2 packets instant ramen noodles
- 1 small handful spinach, kale, or broccoli
Click the steps to erase them.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil and sesame oil.
- Add ginger and garlic, cook another minute, then add chicken breasts. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sear over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet and roast in oven for 15 minutes. Once chicken is cooked through and nicely browned, slice finely.
- In the same saucepan, over medium heat, add soy sauce and fish sauce. Mix well.
- Add chicken broth, chili flakes, star anise, dried mushrooms, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Taste broth and correct seasoning if desired.
- Cook eggs in boiling water* for 7 minutes and transfer directly to a large bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking. The yolk should be soft-cooked and brightly colored. Peel carefully and set aside.
- Divide noodles between 2 large bowls. Pour broth and vegetables over noodles and add slices of roasted chicken. Add a little fresh spinach, kale, or broccoli rubble directly to the broth (it’ll cook in the heat) then top with halved eggs and green onions.