PORTUGUESE FLATTENED CHICKEN
30 min Prepping
1 Exceldor whole chicken 1 tbsp. (15 ml) coarse salt
- 2 French shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) piri-piri sauce or other type of Portuguese hot sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lemon
Click the steps to erase them.
- Place the chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Remove the backbone with kitchen scissors. Turn chicken over and flatten the breast with the palm of your hand, butterfly style. Fold the wings underneath.
- Sprinkle salt on the inside and outside of the chicken and rub in well. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place chicken in a large zip lock bag. Coat chicken with ½ a cup (125 ml) of the hot sauce and refrigerate rest of sauce. Refrigerate the chicken at least 12 hours.
- Preheat barbecue by turning burners on to medium-high on only one side.
- Place chicken on the other side of the barbecue, skin side down. Close barbecue cover. Cook for 60 minutes, turning the chicken 180° after 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking about 30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thigh without touching the bone indicates 176°F (80°C). Set chicken aside in a serving dish covered with aluminum foil.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining hot sauce in a pot.
- Generously brush chicken with sauce.
- In a small pot, sauté shallots and ginger in butter for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add piri-piri sauce and continue cooking 1 minute.
- Add wine or broth, cilantro, and lemon juice and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has slightly thickened. Set aside.