LEMON CHICKEN AND OLIVE TAJINE
6 and more Portions
30 min Prepping
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into sticks
- 2 preserved lemons or 1 fresh lemon, quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green olives
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raisins
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- Salt and ground pepper
Click the steps to erase them.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180 °C ).
- Mix water and saffron in a bowl and let steep.
- In a large pot, brown drumsticks over medium-high heat in a little oil. Season with salt and pepper during cooking. Repeat with chicken thighs and set aside browned chicken pieces in a bowl.
- In the same pot, sauté the onion and fennel for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add lemons, olives, raisins, spices, and garlic, and continue cooking for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pot and add steeped saffron and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with couscous and sprinkle with cilantro.