FRYING-FREE GENERAL TAO CHICKEN
40 min Prepping
40 min Cooking
- About 1 lb. (450 g) Exceldor chicken thighs
- ½ cup (125 ml) corn starch
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) ginger powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) fresh ginger, grated
- ½ cup (125 ml) green onions, chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white vinegar
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) corn starch
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) ketchup
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) sambal oelek (optional)
- Jasmine rice
- Sautéed vegetables (red pepper, green pepper, broccoli)
- Green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
Click the steps to erase them.
- Cut the chicken thighs into cubes.
- In a bowl, combine the corn starch, ginger powder and pepper.
- Add the chicken cubes to this mixture and coat well.
- Set the oven to “Keep Warm”.
- Pour canola oil into a large non-stick frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Place the chicken pieces in the frying pan and cook about 10 minutes or until all sides are browned and the chicken is cooked through.
- Place the chicken pieces on a paper towel, transfer them to an oven-proof dish and keep them warm in the oven.
- Heat the sesame oil in the same frying pan where you cooked the chicken.
- Add the grated ginger and green onions and brown for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the water, vinegar and brown sugar, and simmer until the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
- Mix the corn starch with 1 tbsp. (15 ml) soy sauce.
- Add the soy sauce mixture, 2 tbsp. (30ml) soy sauce, ketchup and fish sauce into the frying pan.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring the sauce until it thickens.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and mix well to coat each of the pieces.
- Serve with jasmine rice and sautéed vegetables (red pepper, green pepper, broccoli).
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.