served with fig and nut stuffing
6 and more Portions
30 min Prepping
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3 cups (750 ml) hot water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) pancetta, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% cream
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 ml) stale bread, cubed
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) roasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Click the steps to erase them.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) with rack in middle position.
- Remove frozen turkey from packaging and place in a roasting pan. Cover and place in the oven immediately. After 3 hours, insert a meat thermometer in the fleshiest part of the thigh, without touching the bone.
- Continue cooking until the thermometer reads 170°F (80°C). Brush with ⅓ of the glaze, then bake uncovered for ten more minutes. Repeat this step two times. The internal cooking temperature must reach 185°F (85°C).
- Serve turkey with stuffing.
- Place figs in a bowl and cover in hot water, honey, and lemon juice to rehydrate them. Let figs soak for approx. 25 minutes. Drain figs and set aside liquid.
- Pour liquid into a small saucepan and reduce over medium heat for approx. 10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and let simmer until liquid becomes syrupy.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown onions for 1 minute, then brown garlic. Add pancetta cubes and brown for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, cream, and chicken broth together in a large bowl. Add in bread cubes, figs, and onion, garlic, and pancetta mix. Mix well and let bread soak up liquid for a few minutes. Add pecans, rosemary, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Brush a 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) baking dish with a little olive oil, then place stuffing mixture in dish.
- Cook 45 to 55 minutes.