BARLEY RISOTTO WITH PULLED CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS
In collaboration with
Hubert Cormier, Nutritionniste
30 min Prepping
30 min Cooking
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) dehydrated Herbes de Provence
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) rinsed pearl barley
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) shavings Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) dehydrated Herbes de Provence
- 1 sprig Quebec asparagus
- Salt and pepper to taste
Click the steps to erase them.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine drumsticks with herbs in a large bowl until well coated.
- Place drumsticks on parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat chicken broth in a saucepan and keep warm.
- Sweat shallot in oil in a large saucepan.
- Add barley and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add chicken broth one ladle at a time until completely absorbed. Stir frequently.
- In the meantime, blanch asparagus in a third saucepan for 15 seconds, then quickly plunge it into an ice water bath.
- Once drumsticks are cooked, shred meat with a fork.
- When barley is al dente, add chicken, crushed tomatoes, Parmesan, and some asparagus and mix.
- Garnish plates with remaining asparagus, Parmesan shavings, and ground pepper.