GLAZED ASIAN-STYLE CHICKEN LOLLIPOPS
25 min Prepping
DRUMETTES AND DRY MARINADE
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice from 1 grilled lime
- 2 cups (500 ml) hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) fish sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated ginger
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Sriracha sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) roasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Fresh coriander, to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR POT COOKING
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- Fir or rosemary for basting
Click the steps to erase them.
- Using a knife, cut the tendon of the chicken winglet.
- Push down the meat to form a “lollipop” with the winglet. Do not to push the meat too much, else the flesh will not hold on to the lower bone. The upper bone should be cleaned. Cut about 1 cm off the bottom of the drumettes so that they stand upright. Coat the drumettes with the dry marinade.
- Pour olive oil, garlic, and butter into a cast iron pot to fill the bottom and place the drumsticks upright. Place the pot on the coals with the lid closed and put more coals on the lid. Cook for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- In a cast iron pan, heat the ingredients for the glaze sauce (except the limes) over the coals. Allow to boil and remove. Cut the limes in half, then grill them to get a nice dark colour. Add the lime juice to the sauce.
- Hang the drumsticks 8 to 12 inches above the coals with a skewer to finalize the cooking and give them a smoky taste (about 20 to 30 minutes). Glaze the drumettes regularly, using a branch of fir or rosemary as a brush.
- Serve in a cast iron pan and add sesame seeds, green onions, and coriander.
TipsReach a temperature of 165°F (74°C) inside when cooked.
Hang the drumettes over the embers, avoid flames.
Prepare your drumettes and sauce before setting out on your camping trip.